Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bonnaroo 2010 (Saturday)

Jay-Z images by my new friend Julia Stanley (julia.amber18@gmail.com). Thanks Julia!

I just got back from my 6th Bonnaroo. This year I wussed out and only went on Saturday. Real life got in the way of an entire weekend on the farm (and a weaker than usual line up too imo). Of the shows I was interested in seeing on Friday, the reports I heard: Jay Electronica was the shiz-nit. Flaming Lips were as expected - interesting take on Dark Side with the same production they have had the past couple years. Daryl Hall and Chromeo was OK. Kid CuDi was good but short. LCD Soundsystem was awesome.

I arrived at the farm early on Saturday to sunshine and that Bonnaroo heat and humidity we have all come to love. I tried to stay under the moving clouds to no avail and went to check out Baba Maal. It was really hot around noon, and I think the early hour and the heat made it difficult for people to get down to the African rhythms. The USA/UK World Cup match drew a huge crowd to the movie tent, and the air was filled with excited energy (1-1 tie sweet!). After a short break, I went to see Dave Rawlings Machine in a nice shady tent. This is the third time I've seen the band this year (and the second time in two weeks), and the novelty has definitely worn off. The Delfest show was a perfect way to close out a festival. This one was in the middle of the afternoon and was the exact same setlist in the same order as Delfest (minus a few tunes). Queen Jane set closer, etc. etc. Maybe if I hadn't seen it two weeks ago, I would have liked it more. Though Dave Rawlings' archtop guitar was still cool to see and hear.

After Dave Rawlings Machine, I made my way over to the Avett Brothers. I was dreading their 4:45 set time on the Which stage (second biggest - no shade), but, lo and behold, it just so happened to be one of those crazy synchronistic days and the weather cooperated. Immediately preceding their set (as in in the time it took me to walk from That Tent to Which Stage), amazing cloud cover moved in. It looked for a minute like it was going to dump rain on us. Then, about four songs into their set, it seemed as though it was going to pass. BUT, it didn't pass. The clouds parked themselves right over the edge of the festival, blessing us with shade, coolness, and a little bit of rain during what turned out to be an amazing show.

The band seemed really into it and went all out for their Bonnaroo 2010 set. I love it when bands are still growing really fast and seemingly feel the need to blow up the huge festival sets. Their sound was loud, out of key, intense, and focused. There seemed to be a lot more electric guitar than I'm used to. It saddens me a little to see them so obviously changing their image and sound as they grow, but, hey, change is the only constant, right? And it spread... Highlights of the set for me were The Fall opener (again), Colorshow (can't get enough), and Laundry Room. For some reason Laundry Room was especially beautiful yesterday, and they had the crowd eating from their hand. A little rain sprinkled down on us during the break down at the end, which added to the energy.

Break this tired old routine
And this time don't make me leave
I AM A BREATHING TIME MACHINE
I'll take you all for a ride.

Another really short break after the Avetts before I went to see Jeff Beck. I had never seen Jeff Beck before (scratch another legend off the list), and he pretty much made me an instant fan. His show was super high energy with such an amazing clear, loud guitar tone. Even though he's an older force in music, something about his show sounded so modern and relevant, like he's able to transcend time and generations to speak to us with his guitar. Covers I remember - Sly Stone's Wanna Take You Higher, Beatles' Day in the Life (normally so cliche, but surprisingly worked here), Lilac Wine (I'm familiar with Jeff Buckley's version, not sure who wrote it).

After Jeff Beck, a really quick walk got me a good spot to the right of the soundboard for Stevie Wonder (living legend number 2 of the day). He came on stage rocking out on the keytar, and things started out really hot (as in good). He ran through his greatest hits and threw in a fair amount of covers. By the end of his set though, I have to admit, I was ready for him to take a bow and make way for Jay-Z (no disrespect Stevie - I just wasn't feeling it).

Getting into the pit for Jay-Z on the right side (stage left) of the What Stage was one of the more challenging things I've done at the Roo. The line was borderline dangerous, with people falling and being nearly trampled as probably 5000 people tried to push their way in. Luckily, somehow I didn't pass out and made it in. And I say luckily because I think I was one of the last ones, as the pit did not fill in any more once I got my spot on the middle rail with a clear view down the catwalk. My guess is that it was getting so dangerous with everybody pushing that they closed it off and said 'no more pit for you.'

Jay-Z's show was great. It was a little boring at times, but the production was top notch. His backdrop is like the skyline of New York City (and indeed is during Empire State of Mind), and it is covered with LEDs (I think). When SCI first started using these things, we jokingly called it the Lite Bright, but man oh man have they made improvements in this technology in the past five years. He ran through his greatest hits and most of Blueprint 3. The bass was full and loud, Jay-Z was intelligible, and the band was tight. He was high energy and that translated into most of the crowd being stoked on the show. Surprisingly, Young Forever was a huge highlight for me. I generally think Dylan's Forever Young is super cliche and thought I couldn't stand the Jay-Z song. Somehow, though, the cheesiness translated into a sense of unity or something as the crowd sang along. It seemed especially fitting and poignant considering the general make-up of a Jay-Z crowd at Bonnaroo, and people seemed to be feeling it.

Fear not when
Fear not why
Fear not much
While we're alive


After the spectacle that was Jay-Z ended, I rushed over to catch the last few songs of Dan Deacon's Ensemble. Though I love Dan Deacon's sound and originality, the band seemed a little disjointed and loud. No matter, because I knew deadmau5 was next, and I was excited.

HOLY SH*T!! deadmau5 was insane!! Absolutely mind blowing!! I'd watched the video of the show from Coachella and knew what I was getting into, but...woah. That looked so cool. His light show is designed by the same people who did the Daft Punk Alive tour and the Kanye West Glow in the Dark tour, and this one is far and away the craziest production yet. Everything from his LED mau5head to his DJ stand (for lack of a better term) had me hooked with glorious eye candy until about fifteen minutes past 4AM. And I actually thought the music was awesome too! After being seriously blown away by deadmau5 (seriously.), I stumbled over to the Disco Biscuits for a little while. Although the music was not awful, it definitely felt like amateur hour in there after what I had just witnessed at deadmau5, and I left around 5AM for bed.

Another amazing Saturday at Bonnaroo. I understand all the criticisms (not my thing, too hot, too many people, not enough jambands, too mainstream, blah, blah, blah), but year in year out AC Entertainment and Superfly put together an event that will be talked for the rest of the year. Though this lineup was a little light, this year is no different. Thank you to the farm and thank you Manchester - see you in 2011 for the 10th Anniversary (can you guys believe it's been 10 years - a whole decade - since the first one?!?!)!

Just a picture perfect day that lasts a whole lifetime...

No comments:

Post a Comment